Saturday, July 09, 2005

Some Books That Have Influenced Me- Part 1

There is little doubt in my mind that Tom Well's book, A Vision for Missions is one of the most influential books that I have ever read. I treasure the book and its message so highly that I bring it with me on every trip (deputation or otherwise) that I take. I have read it probably six or seven times, and I am always in the process of reading it.

So what makes the book so special? It is the clearest presentation of a God-centered, passionate approach to world evangelism that I have ever encountered. Recently, (within the last five years) John Piper's book Let the Nations Be Glad has made a big impression in certain segments of fundamentalism. Yes, we fundamentalists are a bit late! Piper's book was published in 1993 and made a pretty big splash in general evangelicalism at that time. I am very thankful for Piper's important contribution to the subject. His opening paragraph in the book is probably the best articulation of the proper place of and reason for missions. As good and important as Piper's book is, I find Well's book to be even more so.

A Vision for Missions has two important theses. First, God is worthy to be known and proclaimed for who He is, and that fact is an important part of the missionary motive and message. I believe that we fundamentalists have long suffered under an inadequate impetus for world evangelism. So often the appeal to become involved in this great task has been that many around the world are dying and going to hell, and that if we do not involve ourselves in light of that then we are truly heartless individuals. Or the appeal has even come across (like A.W. Tozer said) as though God's great love and mercy has painted Him into a corner that He cannot extricate Himself from! With such flawed motivations and anemic views of God that often accompany them, it is no wonder that few today feel any lasting desire to become involved in world evangelism wherever that might take them! The greatness and sovereignty of our God is motivation at its highest. God is worthy to be known! How that knowledge should propel us into His harvest fields! Not only is it motivation, but it is also an important part of the message. The God that we proclaim to the world is worthy to be known! He is not some weak and helpless being that awaits man's sovereign assent. He is the sovereign, immutable God!

The second thesis of the book is those who know the most about God are the most responsible and best equipped to tell of Him. It is one thing to point out the flaws in another's theology and look down upon them as they present God in an incomplete and inadequate way. It is quite another to take a proper and complete view of God into the work and labour to turn men's eyes to that God ourselves. I find this thesis particularly challenging. I am one of those who can spot an unworthy God a mile away. But do I take the knowledge that I do have and use it to tell others of the true and living God, or do I simply look down my nose at the ones who proclaim God in an unworthy way? I fear that far too often my zeal for proper theology eclipses my zeal for the God of that theology. That is, I can discern, dissect, stew over, and debate the errors that I see in a person's theology and view of God; but how often I do not proclaim the message of God himself to the world that does not know Him! Well's book is an important reminder to me that zeal for theology may not necessarily be a zeal for God.

Wells writes about certain of God's perfections and how they are both motivation and message for missions. One of the best chapters in the book is "Glory...in the Face of Jesus" where he demonstrates that a God-centered theology of missions is a Christ-centered theology of missions. He also has an excellent chapter about God's glory and human need, showing that a God-centered philosophy does not eliminate an emphasis upon human need, but rather puts it into its proper place.

Several chapters of the book demonstrate how these great truths impacted particular missionaries when brought to bear upon their lives. The lives of David Brainerd, William Carey, and Henry Martyn provide vivid and accurate examples of these truths in action.

All in all, I cannot recommend this book too highly. I am thankful to God for bringing it to my attention, and pray that He would continue to burn its truths into my heart that I might live out my life in passionate pursuit of His glory.

No comments: