Thursday, January 11, 2007

Arminius on Calvin's Commentaries

I read this the other day at The Thirsty Theologian (An excellent site that I will add to my links.) Reminds me of the thoughts of my own father. He would never wear the label of "Calvinist," but he has read Calvin extensively and on more than one occaision has told me that Calvin's Commentaries have been of more personal benefit to him than any other commentary or commentary set that he has.

"Next to the study of the Scriptures which I earnestly inculcate, I exhort my pupils to peruse Calvin’s Commentaries, which I extol in loftier terms than Helmich himself [a Dutch divine, 1551–1608]; for I affirm that he excels beyond comparison in the interpretation of Scripture, and that his commentaries ought to be more highly valued than all that is handed down to us by the library of the fathers; so that I acknowledge him to have possessed above most others, or rather above all other men, what may be called an eminent spirit of prophecy. His Institutes ought to be studied after the [Heidelberg] Catechism, as containing a fuller explanation, but with discrimination, like the writings of all men."

—Jacob Arminius

1 comment:

Bernard Rosario said...

Here is it! I was looking for this quote by Arminius and I found it here. Thanks..