Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Some Books That Have Influenced Me- Part 3

No compilation of books that have influenced me would be complete without John Piper's Don't Waste Your Life. I was given a copy by my sister and brother-in-law but did not actually read it until about five months later. I am glad I did not put it off even longer!

Five Big Reasons Why the Book Impacted Me:
  1. Piper's book stands on a solid theological and Biblical framework. The arguments and appeals of the book are rooted in Scripture properly divided. (One exception, in my estimation, is his thoughts on fighting Satan on the biological front.) Page after page brings forth the demands of Scripture upon a person's life.
  2. Piper shows the importance of Christ-centered living in practical everyday contexts. Two chapters in particular, "Living to Prove He is More Important than Life" and "Making Much of Christ from 8 to 5," are much needed in the contexts with which I am familiar. Too often the appeal to live a life devoted to passionate service for Christ is directed toward those who would enter "full-time service."
  3. Piper emphasizes the needs and opportunities that exist in world evangelism, particularly in "frontier missions," preaching Christ where He is not named. I had a pre-existing burden for these areas prior to the book, but the burden greatly intensified with the reading of his words on the subject. I am thrilled to see what God is doing in these areas in my generation. It is not all happening in the indy-fundy circles that I am in, but groups like To Every Tribe Ministries are seeing some incredible progress and commitment of late. May God use them and a multitude of others to bring His Gospel where Christ is not currently named.
  4. Piper's prayer at the end of the book is overflow of a spirit of love for and commitment to Christ. The authenticity of it has often caused me to consider my own prayer life, not out of a desire to simply emulate Piper, but having seen (read) a prayer of such passion and power, a desire to consider the level of my own power and passion in communicating with God.
  5. Piper's writing style is fantastic. He writes with the heart of a poet and the head of a theologian. I believe that this is one of the key gifts that God has given Piper and is using in him.

No comments: