Sunday, October 09, 2005

Hypothetical Question

Here is an email message that I sent to a number of friends several months ago. It generated some interesting responses.

Here is an entirely hypothetical question. Let’s say that you had to move and minister elsewhere. You could only take a Bible and five books. Let’s say you are going to an English speaking area. What do you bring? My list-

1. Bible- The King James Study Bible (Nelson Publishers). It has my Bible of choice for the last seven years. Excellent, conservative, and largely dispensational (derived, not imposed) study notes. Great book backgrounds. Very readable font. Excellent footnotes.

2. The New Linguistic and Exegetical Guide to the Greek New Testament by Cleon Rogers, Jr. It is filled with an incredible wealth of material. Really a library in itself. I have used my copy so much since I got it a few years back, that it is falling apart. And the book is not shabbily constructed!

3. The New Treasury of Scripture Knowledge Basically an incredibly huge book of cross-references, a few explanatory notes, and other study aids. Its value is in the vast cross-references. The Bible is the best commentary on itself!

4. A Vision for Missions by Tom Wells. A short book, but one that is rich in God-soaked theology. My favorite book on missions, and one that I am always reading. It warms my heart every time that I read it.

5. Preaching that Changes Lives by Michael Fabarez. It is not the largest book on the subject, but it is the most practical and challenging that I have encountered. One to continually read and reference.

6. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy Complete in One Volume by Tolkien. I think that I would want a book for diversion, and this one is so large and complex that it would still entertain for many years of re-reads.

Some that did not make the list, but were definitely in the running-
Strong’s- the ultimate find it.
The Pleasures of God by John Piper. His best, in my opinion. Edifying, challenging, and comforting.

Another kind of list-

Bible- Either The New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures or The Word on the Street

The Christian Religion by Friedrich Schleiermacher
Self-esteem: the New Reformation by Robert Schuller
Mysticism and Logic and Other Essays by Bertrand Russell
Thus Spake Zarethustra by Nietzsche
Being and Nothingness by Jean-Paul Sartre

Catch the irony of Sartre and Schuller on the same list?

No comments: